Microsafe Food Safety
There is an increasing world-wide demand for improved food safety standards and we regard compliance as the key to the future of Crown National.
The Crown Food Group Technologies operations in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg are FSSC 22000 accredited.
Our FSSC 22000 commitment forms part of our Microsafe® food safety program objectives.
Our Microsafe® food safety program demands that we employ numerous other food safety initiatives such as:
- Procurement of pre-selected and approved materials from approved suppliers, conforming to specifications and service criteria as determined by Crown National.
- Automated and manual spice cleaning operations to remove possible foreign matter such as glass, foreign seeds etc.
- Quality Control of incoming shipments to ensure the products conform to specifications, pre-shipment samples and suppliers certificates of analysis.
- Lot traceability for future reference purposes.
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography for the detection of Aflatoxins, Sudan Red and Scoville Heat Unit determination.
- Microbiological analysis of pre and post sterilization samples to ensure conformance with legal requirements.
- Microsafe® steam sterilization of herbs and spices to ensure conformance with government regulations for microbiological loads.
- Metal detection and X-Ray scanning to detect possible ferrous and non-ferrous contaminants.
- Quality Assurance of finished products, with the provision of certificates of analysis to customers.
- Near infrared radiation analysis.
- We welcome regular quality audits by our customers.
As an extension of our commitment to food safety at manufacturing level, Crown National has embarked on implementing a Food Safety Management System at distribution level. The Food Safety system is specifically designed to meet the requirements of the Genesis Good Storage and Distribution Practices. Each distribution centre (trading branch) is independently audited against criteria based on national legislation as well as relevant national and international standards.